Round Robin - Math Around the Room


Another strategy that I use in my Math class that promotes teamwork, problem-solving, and collaborative conversations is what I call a "Round-Robin." It is fairly simple, but it gets the students up out of their desks and working together to solve story problems.

I divide my class into six teams (about 4-5 students each) and each student creates their own recording sheet by folding a plain sheet of white paper into thirds. The first time they do this it takes some time and explicit instruction, but after a few times, students can create their recording sheet quickly and with little direction.
I put two copies of the story problems in plastic sheet protectors at each table group. Students begin working on solving the problem together in the appropriate section on their recording sheet. To ensure equal participation, all students must complete a recording sheet, and the group does not know which sheet I will collect from each group to be awarded points. Students are responsible for teaching each other and making sure that everyone has their work done.

Depending on the complexity of the problems, I allow 5 - 10 minutes per problem. When time is up, the groups rotate around the room to the next table to begin working on the next problem. (Management Tip: I ring the bell to signal time is up, ask students to point to their new location, then say: walk safely to your new location - having students think about where they are going, and point to it helps them focus and move in an organized manner.)

This strategy is great when working with more complex, multi-step problems. I have witnessed students who would give up easily on their own rise to the challenge and persevere in solving these challenging problems because they have help and support of their peers, as well as a peer to talk through the problem and share ideas with about how to approach it.

reasons why I like this strategy:
students are out of their desks and moving around
the team point challenge motivates them to try their best
promotes collaborative conversations
empowers my higher students to become peer teachers

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CUE 2017 National Conference - Day 1

These are a Few of My Favorite (Google Chrome Extension) Things...

CUE 2017 National Convention - Day 2