Google Tour Builder - Put Your Story on the Map


I learned about this tool at the Google Geo Teachers Institute in Mountain View, CA
My instructor was Kim Randal, @scubagirl812

I just led a PD session on how to use Tour Builder - presentation resources are HERE


Tour Builder is a fantastic digital storytelling tool that is easy for students to use. They can add locations to a map. Along with each location, they can add photos, captions, and change the icon. I can imagine so many ways to use this tool with my students. 

Tours can be private or shared, and multiple tours can be linked together in one master tour. Great for collaborative work!

I explored the tool by creating a quick tour of a summer weekend getaway trip.

Within Tour Builder, you can pin an unlimited number of locations to your map and add a total of 25 images or video per project.

When you are done creating your tour, the tour can be shared and the viewer can view the tour by clicking through the locations which are organized like a slide show.



I used MyMaps to create a novel study of By the Great Horn Spoon last school year, but I think this tool is easier to use and will help my students take this project to the next level.

Tour Builder is still BETA so expect future enhancements and improvements in the future! Currently the 3D view does not work in Chrome and is only available in certain versions of Firefox and IE. It is still fully functioning in Safari. It is rumored that this is temporary and I look forward to future upgrades to the program.

Possible application in my fourth-grade classroom:
  • Create a tour following the route of the Donner Party
  • Early CA explorers
  • "By The Great Horn Spoon" novel - follow the characters journey
  • National Park research presentation
  • "Getting to Know Me" presentation
  • Family Heritage presentation
  • Tour of the campus for new students and families
I found THIS WEBSITE which has a presentation about how to use Google Tour Builder along with ideas about how to incorporate it in the classroom.

Another great blog post about Tour builder can be found HERE.

I found another blog post HERE that breaks down the advantages of using the various Google tools for digital storytelling (ie: Maps, Earth). The advantage of using Tour Builder over Google Earth in my classroom is that it works on Chromebooks and, in my opinion, is simpler to use.




Have you used this tool? What other digital storytelling tools do you use with your students?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CUE 2017 National Conference - Day 1

These are a Few of My Favorite (Google Chrome Extension) Things...

CUE 2017 National Convention - Day 2