2017 End-Of-The-School Year Gifts

I like to send my students home for the summer with a special gift to help them remember the school year. In the past, I gave each student a DVD with copies of all the video and photos I had collected throughout the year.

This year, I wanted to do something different. A fellow teacher friend posted a word cloud project on Facebook, and I instantly knew what I wanted to do! Summer Writing Journals!
I created a Google Form in which there were 33 questions. Each question was just the name of one student in the class, and a short answer response option.
I instructed the students to think about one good word to describe each student in the class. We discussed examples and did some brainstorming, then I had the students access the form in our Google Classroom.

Once the students completed the form, I had a list of 33 words for each student that were unique and special. I used those lists of words to create a star shaped word cloud that was unique for each student. I used the site: http://www.tagxedo.com/ but there are other web-based word cloud generators out there.
I printed the word clouds out in color and glued the cut-out star on the cover of a writing journal.
Each star came our special and unique!
  


On the inside of the front cover, I glued a sheet of paper with an end of the year poem, a short note from me, and a list of fun writing prompts to help them get started with summer writing.



I wrapped each journal up with a ribbon and a new pen.

   

When I presented the journals, I kept the recipients name a secret, and I just started reading the describing words. The students were able to guess very accurately who each journal belonged to. I was impressed how thoughtful they were, and how well they really knew each other.
I loved being able to send the students home with a special, personalized memento. I received several emails from parents commenting on and thanking me for the unique gift.

Some tips if you want to try this project...
  • talk with your students about using positive words ONLY!
  • brainstorm and help them come up with "juicy" words otherwise, you will get a lot of "nice" and "cool"
  • Proof-read the list of words for spelling and appropriateness
  • you may need to add a few words yourself for particular students


What are your ideas for end-of-the-school-year gifts? What have you tried in the past?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response to Literature with Sketchnotes and Thinglink

Green Screen Curtain Setup

SAMR Field Trip Reflection Redesign